AMS is very proud of the many fellowships, grants, studentships, medals and awards offered in both the history of medicine and healthcare, and compassionate care streams. Here is a comprehensive list of the AMS funding opportunities with links to further information and application guidelines.
History of Medicine Funding Opportunities
AMS History of Medicine and Healthcare Post-Doctoral Fellowships and Project Grants
- Post-Doctoral candidates should be embarking on a period of full time post-PhD degree studies and wish to add to their experience by engaging in research in Canada or abroad. Application information can be found on the NSHRF website. Applications due in April.
- The AMS History of Medicine Project Grant is designed to support small budget proposals on projects featuring the history of medicine. Application information can be found on the NSHRF website. Applications due in April.
Hannah Summer Studentships
- The Hannah Summer Studentship offers undergraduate students an opportunity to study and learn the techniques of historical research and to encourage future serious study of medical history. Application Information can be found on the CSHM website. Applications due in February.
AMS/Royal Society of Canada Jason A. Hannah Medal in the History of Medicine.
- The medal is awarded for an important publication in the history of medicine. The award is for a book published in the five years preceding its nomination. Nomination details can be found by visiting the Royal Society of Canada site. The next medal will be awarded in 2019.
Nursing History Research Unit- Annual Scholarship
- $10, 000 for graduate students who are undertaking thesis projects on issues of nursing, health and healthcare using historical perspectives. Administered by the University of Ottawa. Applications due on May 1.
AMS Graduate Student CSHM Congress Grants.
- This grant covers CSHM Congress and association fees, accommodations, food and can only be used to cover the cost of travel (train, plane, bus, or other). Apply by visiting the CSHM website. Applications due in June.
Compassionate Care Funding Opportunities
AMS/OMSA Compassionate Care Research Grants.
- The Medical Student Education Research Grant (MSERG) will provide $5,000 to eight Ontario medical students to conduct research projects in medical education; four of these eight awards will be granted in the Compassionate Care Stream. Visit the Ontario Medical Students Association website for more information. Applications due March 11.
AMS/RNAO Advanced Clinical Practice Fellowship (ACPF) Program
- AMS and RNAO are offering eight fellowships per year that will focus on humane, compassionate person centred-care. Fellowships are administered by the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario . Fellowship cycles and application information can be found on the RNAO website.
Janus Research Grants and Patient’s Medical Home Grants
- Janus Research Grants are intended to build family medicine research capacity. They will support family medicine researchers at an early stage of their research career to attend the North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG) Grant Generating Project. Administered by Foundation for Advancing Family Medicine. Applications are due Feb. 1st.
- Patient’s Medical Home Grants will support health care providers and/or an interdisciplinary team in undertaking a project aimed at optimizing caring and compassion. Administered by the Foundation for Advancing Family Medicine. Applications due Feb.1st.
AMS/RCPSC Donald Wilson Award
- This award is given annually to a medical educator or a leader of a team, program, or department who has demonstrated excellence in integrating the CanMEDS roles into a Royal College or other health related training program. Administered by the RCPSC. Applications due in May.
AMS Phoenix Fellowships
- The AMS Phoenix Fellowship is a prestigious award targeted at individuals with strong leadership abilities who are willing and committed to advancing the vision of the AMS Phoenix Project: Nurture and sustain the learning and practice of compassionate care. Administered by AMS, you can apply on our site by visiting the application process page. Stage 1 applications are due Feb. 12.